Complesso di San Lorenzo Maggiore
The basilica of San Lorenzo Maggiore is one of the most ancient Church in Naples. It is located in the historic centre of the city, very close to Piazza San Gaetano, where was once situated the Greek agora. The monumental complex was built in the 12th century and its gothic style is shown by the interiors. It is said that in 1334 Giovanni Boccaccio met there his beloved Fiammetta, and in 1346 the annexed monastery hosted Francesco Petrarca.
The entrance of the monastery is on the right side of the basilica. During the 19th century its façade was embellished with the coats of arms of the city and the ones of the sedili cittadini, which represented the delegates of the quarters present in the Neapolitan parliament from the 13th till the 19th century with administrative and judicial functions. The parliament assemblies used to take place in the Sala Capitolare of the monastery. The cloister was built in the 1700s, the well place in the centre was designed by Cosimo Fonzago; on the way to the church you can admire the fresco “Madonna con bambino e devoto” painted by Montano d’Arezzo.
The Archeological complex of San Lorenzo Maggiore was entirely built upon the ancient greek agora which became shortly after an ancient roman market, representing the heart of the commercial life in Roman times. Recent studies on the excavations brought to the light the different structures of this market: an older structure dating back to the 4th century B.C. (the yellow tuff foundations) made by the Greeks and a more recent construction made by the Romans in the 1st century A.D.
Characteristics: Sala Capitolare event for 100 guests + 70
Sala Sisto V dinner for 400 guests – convention for 450
The Cloister is perfect for cocktails
Archaeological excavation with the chance of reproducing an ancient Neapolitan market.